Sunday, February 8, 2009

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together

Hey,

I don't even know where to start. This week has been crazy.

Monday: I started my internship. The whole metro/bus thing wasn't that bad...which is a miracle because i'm known to end up in random towns because i can't get on the right bus (Kate Shaughnessy.. i love you and the B43! haha) I work mostly with BWUFA's program director Teresa, who made me feel at home at the office. She also has been helping me to get involved in the programs and allowing me many opportunities. On Monday i looked up some Community Service Learning programs for the children of Chantilly Mews. Chantilly Mews is a low-income, federally subsidized housing development that BWUFA runs the Chantilly Mews Family Preservation Project. After my first day of work, i went to class at the Washington Center. I'm taking a nonprofit leadership class.


Tuesday: I worked on finding international programs to donate to. I didn't realize that there are African nonprofits, maybe it was my own ignorance but in the U.S. i feel like we look at Africa as a place that can't help themselves, and we have to rush in and help them. But it was really cool to look up these agencies that have started from the ground up within Africa. We had a staff meeting where i got to meet Ms. Coates, who is the creator of BWUFA. We discussed updating our website and doing some more public relations type things. After work we went to Chantilly Mews and hosted Girls Club, which is run every 1st and 3rd tuesday of each month, and gives the girls a place to hang out and learn about self-esteem, manners, self-confidence, and decision making skills. I had so much fun.. all of the girls were so funny and cute. I look forward to the next girls club.

Wednesday: I worked on looking up programs in Northern Virginia/ D.C. for the mentoring program. I also looked up federal grants for our programs. When i came home i just sat down.. haha. Working 9 to 5 is no joke, especially with classes and the after work programs in Chantilly.

Thursday: My 21st birthday!!! I went to work and wrapped up some of the projects i was working on. Then i came home and got ready and my amazing roommates and i went to Old Ebbits Grille, i tried to see if Obama wanted to come with us because the white house is right next door, but i guess he was busy. I have the best friends in the world, just so you guys are aware. <3

Friday: I went to work, naturally. Then i went to dinner at Buca di Beppo with Papa Bose! :) It was sooo good, Fettucine Supremo and a Proschiutto and Gorgonzola salad...which i highly recommend. Then we went to Murphys in Alexandria for some sweet creamy beige Baileys! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGIl6dul_w) ;). I'm so glad he came up for my birthday. I pretty much have the best parents around.


Saturday: Pops and me went to breakfast and then he headed back to the baystate. I went to whole foods.. which im pretty sure i'll never do again because it is SO expensive. I really like it there, but i'm poor. It was sooooooo nice out. Its already spring down here, its crazy. I'm used to having snow storms. Saturday night i went to the package store (yeah okay, liquor store whateverr) and it was the sketchiest moment of my life. We had to order at a counter because people weren't allowed in, and they didn't have beer... they told me to go to the supermarket. What? Virginia confuses me.

Today, my only outing was to Staples to get ink. I had to go into D.C. to get it and the women harassed me about not having a staples card. She told me that i should get one so i can get 3 dollars for an ink catridge. When i said no she said "oh so you're just going to throw them away?" and then rolled her eyes. Uh, excuse me? So as always, i just smiled and said yes because it annoys people.

Well i'm off to homework and such.
Peace & Love
Steph ♥

p.s. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/02/07/beacon_hill_goes_digital___lol/?page=2

1 comment:

  1. Wow, quite a bit for the week. Great work experience, great birthday, visit from family, borderline fight with Staples idiot. All-in-all sounds awesome!! Happy birthdy, sounds like the position is a great one.

    ReplyDelete